I’m a lifelong learner and a quick study
who can meet changing priorities with flexibility and poise.
My expert and versatile content creation includes:
● Corporate Communications
● Public Relations & Media Relations
● Strategy & Communications Plans
● Leadership Speeches
● Business Development Proposals
● Nonprofit Communications
● Social Media ● Blogging
● Video Content Creation ● Feature Writing
● Book Editing ● Magazine Editing
● English Tutoring ● Copy Editing, AP Style and Proofreading.
Communications Specialist, Kohler Co., Greater Milwaukee area, Wis. April 2017 to September 2019.
● Working quickly and independently, strategize and create internal content for Supply Chain, Kitchen and Bath Americas. Develop and produce weekly e-newsletter and maintain SharePoint site. Initiate and conduct interviews; write and edit original articles. Promote Sustainability, Wellness and Stewardship engagement events. Collaborate and broker articles to other Kohler publications. On deadline, take and edit photos, create layouts, send e-blasts, and upload content to SharePoint site. Maintain editorial calendar. Achieved: Partner in creating first-ever communications program for Business Unit. Led communications for on-campus parking renovation affecting hundreds of associates.
Content Specialist/PR Professional, Sheila Nero Communications, Greater Milwaukee area, Wis. January 2014 to present.
● Write Restaurant Scout column, success stories, case studies, and other features for clients including UW-Madison School of Business center, 30 West Magazine, Lake Country Reporter, and Healthcare Facilities Today. Select topics; take photos. Achieved: Produce creative, accurate deadline reporting and corporate communications.
● Handle public relations for clients. Achieved: Consult on strategy and tactics. Win media placements.
● Board member, Greener Oconomowoc.
Co-Director, Oconomowoc Winter Farmers Market. Achieved: Proposed new strategies and tactics, such as live events at market.
● Board member, Hales Trail Community Garden, Port Washington, Wis. Communications Coordinator. Achieved: Handle Facebook page, take photos and post. Arrange membership benefits in community. Compose and send email blasts.
Proposal Writer, Franklin Energy
Services, Greater Milwaukee area, Wis.
May 2016 to March 2017.
Wrote persuasive business proposals on deadline, meeting exacting specifications to answer RFPs. Focus was energy efficiency services for utilities across the U.S. and into Canada. Regularly attended APMP webinars. Additional: Supported Corporate Communications and company-wide Wellness Committee through written work. Served as Franklin Fit Coordinator for Wellness programs and events. Achieved: Contributed to Business Development revenue.
Content Manager, Johnson Controls, Glendale, Wis.
April 2015 to September 2015.
● At global company, wrote persuasive business proposals on deadline, meeting exacting specifications to answer RFPs/RFIs.
● Generated content targeted to a specific audience for multimillion-dollar contracts.
● Created custom win themes, crafted executive summaries, contributed to in-depth, live PowerPoint presentations. Projects included subject matter experts, graphic designers, bid coordinator, consultants. Contract position ended when GWS division was sold. Achieved: Produced accurate information fast to gain and renew contracts. Win rate is currently 100%.
Academic Tutor, Tutor Doctor, Waukesha County, Wis. Nov. 2014 to Jan. 2016.
● Tutored middle-school and high school students in academics, focusing on writing and confidence.
● Supported adult students in technology skills and study habits. Scheduled appointments, created session reports in database, provided customer service. Achieved: Improved learning habits and grades.
Communications Specialist and Intranet Editor,
DTE Energy Corporate Communications Department, Detroit, Mich. May 2012 to April 2013.
● Intranet role: Brainstormed, wrote, edited and flexibly planned intranet articles. Analyzed metrics. Achieved: Won regular praise from vice president of Corporate Communications.
● United Way role: Created strategy and tactics for DTE 2012-2013 United Way campaign including video, blog, feature articles and letters from CEO. Achieved: Exceeded campaign goal.
● Values in Action corporate culture role: Wrote “Day in the Life” series and items highlighting employees. Produced DTE values book on team. Achieved: Gained employee support for leadership initiatives. Contract position.
Director of PR, VFI Marketing, Rochester, Mich. June 2010 to September 2011.
● Main contributor in setting up new PR agency at marketing firm. Focus was water conservation and water-saving plumbing products. Achieved: Promoted from within after part-time work. Led new team.
● Managed workflow and staff in national media relations and public relations campaign. Both B2B and B2C work. Achieved: Team publicized water conservation tour of 400 events in 46 states. Placed client on CNN and in array of media outlets.
● Brainstormed strategies and tactics, then wrote PR materials including press releases, pitch letters, fliers and video script. Achieved: Showed leadership skills and high productivity.
● Managed vendor contracts, including newswire distributor and media monitoring service. Achieved: Negotiated individualized terms of contracts, cutting costs.
● Served as ambassador on live radio talk shows. Achieved: Added spokesperson value.
PR Consultant, Sheila Nero Communications, Milwaukee, Wis. October 2008 to March 2010.
● Wrote press releases and articles for clients. Consulted on communications plans, strategy, and tactics. Achieved: Transferred journalism and publications skills to public relations.
● Expanded website with online pressroom. Achieved: Publicized firm’s growth.
● Conducted national and local media relations for nonprofit clients. Achieved: Placed clients in TV, online and print venues.
● Contractor at Milwaukee PR agency. Achieved: Seamlessly added expertise to staff.
Associate Director, Publications Department, International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans, Brookfield, Wis. February 2002 to August 2008.
● Edited and developed numerous books on employee benefits topics. Wrote and edited book catalog. Achieved: Produced both the products and marketing collateral.
● Led editorial team producing nonprofit association’s member publications, both print and electronic. Achieved: Gained top ratings in annual evaluations by 35,000 members.
● Edited Benefits & Compensation Digest, Foundation’s largest monthly magazine for members. Achieved: Won Association Trends Gold Award for Best Trade Association Magazine; Gold Award from MarCom Creative Awards, and several APEX awards for Publication Excellence.
● Wrote 6-10 speeches per year for executives. Achieved: Delivered leadership coaching.
● Produced annual show daily/conference newsletter. Achieved: Created attendee news source.
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Milwaukee, Wis. 1995-2002.
● Copy Editor, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Responsible for quality standard and accuracy. Edited copy and infographics for sections including Food, Cue, Lifestyle, Real Estate, Monday Business and Health. Achieved: Highest staff tier: Journalist 3.
● Columnist, Woman of the House freelance series in the Real Estate Section. Created monthly remodeling series. Achieved: Built readership of homeowners.
● Reporter, freelance features. Covered topics ranging from gardening and careers to food. Achieved: Showed creative writing ability.
University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
B.A. in Journalism. Minor in International Political Science. Graduated with honors.
SharePoint. Technology tutor via Tutor Doctors. Online courses in video production and Twitter best practices. Social media workshops. Digital photography. MacBook Pro and Windows PC/laptop. Vocus. Cision. Access and Mediabank databases. Skype for Business. Microsoft Word (advanced), Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook. DropBox. WordPress and Movable Type blogging software. Social media course via MediaBistro: Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook. Adobe Creative Suite generalist.
Public Relations Society of America (PRSA), Milwaukee and Detroit chapter. Wisconsin Nonprofits Association.